Our top 10 books for children aged 0-5 years has been incredibly hard to choose from! We did A LOT of research! There are so many amazing stories out there for this age group.
After being a Nanny and a parent for the last 30 years, I have read many books! I have two favourites, which are The Tiger who Came to Tea, which I was read as a child, and Lost and Found, which is now my son’s favourite childhood book.
So here is the list we have chosen:
- Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown.
- I Want my Potty by Tony Ross.
- Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers.
- Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell.
- The Lion Inside by Rachel Bright.
- Room on a Broom by Julia Donaldson.
- The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
- We’re going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen.
and drum roll……
The Tiger who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr.
Reading to children from a very early age has many benefits. It starts to create a day to day routine and structure if you read at a regular time, like before a sleep or bedtime. It creates connection and bond with the reader and child, sharing and learning about emotions, and hopefully lots of laughter! It encourages language, speech and communication as well as developing imagination.
Most importantly, it develops a love for reading, a good habit that needs to be instilled, to let the child understand that reading is a pleasure, not a chore, gaining confidence and self esteem. This will benefit them for their lifetime, as well as creating special memories that you can cherish.